Subject: pgsql: Use a safer outfuncs/readfuncs representation for BitStrings.

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2024 17:19:42 +0000

Use a safer outfuncs/readfuncs representation for BitStrings.

For a long time, our outfuncs.c code has supposed that the string
contents of a BitString node could just be printed literally with
no concern for quoting/escaping.  Now, that's okay if the string
literal contains only valid binary or hex digits ... but our lexer
doesn't check that, preferring to let bitin() be the sole authority
on what's valid.  So we could have raw parse trees that contain
incorrect BitString literals, and that can result in failures when
WRITE_READ_PARSE_PLAN_TREES debugging is enabled.

Fix by using outToken() to print the string field, and debackslash()
to read it.  This results in a change in the emitted representation
only in cases that would have failed before, and don't represent valid
SQL in the first place.  Between that and the fact that we don't store
raw parse trees in the catalogs, I judge this safe to apply without a
catversion bump.

Per bug #18340 from Alexander Lakhin.  Back-patch to v16; before that,
we lacked readfuncs support for BitString nodes, so that the problem
was only cosmetic.

Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/[email-masked]

Branch
------
master

Details
-------
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/0736a8ef6f0e108e3972750a58a4e42ba070b029

Modified Files
--------------
src/backend/nodes/outfuncs.c      |  9 +++++++--
src/backend/nodes/read.c          | 11 +++--------
src/test/regress/expected/bit.out | 17 +++++++++++++++++
src/test/regress/sql/bit.sql      |  5 +++++
4 files changed, 32 insertions(+), 10 deletions(-)