Subject: pgsql: Keep the decompressed filter in brin_bloom_union

From: Tomas Vondra <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2025 16:06:21 +0000

Keep the decompressed filter in brin_bloom_union

The brin_bloom_union() function combines two BRIN summaries, by merging
one filter into the other. With bloom, we have to decompress the filters
first, but the function failed to update the summary to store the merged
filter. As a consequence, the index may be missing some of the data, and
return false negatives.

This issue exists since BRIN bloom indexes were introduced in Postgres
14, but at that point the union function was called only when two
sessions happened to summarize a range concurrently, which is rare. It
got much easier to hit in 17, as parallel builds use the union function
to merge summaries built by workers.

Fixed by storing a pointer to the decompressed filter, and freeing the
original one. Free the second filter too, if it was decompressed. The
freeing is not strictly necessary, because the union is called in
short-lived contexts, but it's tidy.

Backpatch to 14, where BRIN bloom indexes were introduced.

Reported by Arseniy Mukhin, investigation and fix by me.

Reported-by: Arseniy Mukhin
Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/18855-1cf1c8bcc22150e6%40postgresql.org
Backpatch-through: 14

Branch
------
REL_16_STABLE

Details
-------
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/ebcc799a772ee0097ba86e9ae63481dd44277a77

Modified Files
--------------
src/backend/access/brin/brin_bloom.c | 11 +++++++++++
1 file changed, 11 insertions(+)