Subject: pgsql: Optimize popcount functions with ARM Neon intrinsics.

From: Nathan Bossart <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2025 19:50:07 +0000

Optimize popcount functions with ARM Neon intrinsics.

This commit introduces Neon implementations of pg_popcount{32,64},
pg_popcount(), and pg_popcount_masked().  As in simd.h, we assume
that all available AArch64 hardware supports Neon, so we don't need
any new configure-time or runtime checks.  Some compilers already
emit Neon instructions for these functions, but our hand-rolled
implementations for pg_popcount() and pg_popcount_masked()
performed better in testing, likely due to better instruction-level
parallelism.

Author: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Reviewed-by: John Naylor <[email-masked]>
Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/010101936e4aaa70-b474ab9e-b9ce-474d-a3ba-a3dc223d295c-000000%40us-west-2.amazonses.com

Branch
------
master

Details
-------
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/6be53c27673a5fca64a00a684c36c29db6ca33a5

Modified Files
--------------
src/include/port/pg_bitutils.h |   9 ++
src/port/Makefile              |   1 +
src/port/meson.build           |   1 +
src/port/pg_bitutils.c         |  22 +++--
src/port/pg_popcount_aarch64.c | 208 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
5 files changed, 235 insertions(+), 6 deletions(-)