Subject: pgsql: Fix detection and handling of strchrnul() for macOS 15.4.

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2025 20:50:32 +0000

Fix detection and handling of strchrnul() for macOS 15.4.

As of 15.4, macOS has strchrnul(), but access to it is blocked behind
a check for MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET >= 15.4.  But our does-it-link
configure check finds it, so we try to use it, and fail with the
present default deployment target (namely 15.0).  This accounts for
today's buildfarm failures on indri and sifaka.

This is the identical problem that we faced some years ago when Apple
introduced preadv and pwritev in the same way.  We solved that in
commit f014b1b9b by using AC_CHECK_DECLS instead of AC_CHECK_FUNCS
to check the functions' availability.  So do the same now for
strchrnul().  Interestingly, we already had a workaround for
"the link check doesn't agree with <string.h>" cases with glibc,
which we no longer need since only the header declaration is being
checked.

Testing this revealed that the meson version of this check has never
worked, because it failed to use "-Werror=unguarded-availability-new".
(Apparently nobody's tried to build with meson on macOS versions that
lack preadv/pwritev as standard.)  Adjust that while at it.  Also,
we had never put support for "-Werror=unguarded-availability-new"
into v13, but we need that now.

Co-authored-by: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Co-authored-by: Peter Eisentraut <[email-masked]>
Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/[email-masked]
Backpatch-through: 13

Branch
------
REL_15_STABLE

Details
-------
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/0de9560ba9b8fc4f0de8c5784303db82156279a6

Modified Files
--------------
configure                  | 14 +++++++++++++-
configure.ac               |  2 +-
src/include/pg_config.h.in |  7 ++++---
src/port/snprintf.c        | 29 +++++++++++++----------------
src/tools/msvc/Solution.pm |  2 +-
5 files changed, 32 insertions(+), 22 deletions(-)