Subject: pgsql: Relax assertion in finding correct GiST parent

From: Heikki Linnakangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2025 11:04:49 +0000

Relax assertion in finding correct GiST parent

Commit 28d3c2ddcf introduced an assertion that if the memorized
downlink location in the insertion stack isn't valid, the parent's
LSN should've changed too. Turns out that was too strict. In
gistFindCorrectParent(), if we walk right, we update the parent's
block number and clear its memorized 'downlinkoffnum'. That triggered
the assertion on next call to gistFindCorrectParent(), if the parent
needed to be split too. Relax the assertion, so that it's OK if
downlinkOffnum is InvalidOffsetNumber.

Backpatch to v13-, all supported versions. The assertion was added in
commit 28d3c2ddcf in v12.

Reported-by: Alexander Lakhin <[email-masked]>
Reviewed-by: Tender Wang <[email-masked]>
Discussion: https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/[email-masked]

Branch
------
REL_13_STABLE

Details
-------
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/b92482dc3eff93dafe298a338c75de3177b5b105

Modified Files
--------------
src/backend/access/gist/gist.c | 17 ++++++++++++-----
1 file changed, 12 insertions(+), 5 deletions(-)