Subject: pgsql: Allow PG_PRINTF_ATTRIBUTE to be different in C and C++ code.

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2026 16:57:42 +0000

Allow PG_PRINTF_ATTRIBUTE to be different in C and C++ code.

Although clang claims to be compatible with gcc's printf format
archetypes, this appears to be a falsehood: it likes __syslog__
(which gcc does not, on most platforms) and doesn't accept
gnu_printf.  This means that if you try to use gcc with clang++
or clang with g++, you get compiler warnings when compiling
printf-like calls in our C++ code.  This has been true for quite
awhile, but it's gotten more annoying with the recent appearance
of several buildfarm members that are configured like this.

To fix, run separate probes for the format archetype to use with the
C and C++ compilers, and conditionally define PG_PRINTF_ATTRIBUTE
depending on __cplusplus.

(We could alternatively insist that you not mix-and-match C and
C++ compilers; but if the case works otherwise, this is a poor
reason to insist on that.)

This commit back-patches 0909380e4 into supported branches.

Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/[email-masked]
Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/[email-masked]
Backpatch-through: 14-18

Branch
------
REL_16_STABLE

Details
-------
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/1d97e47883e0b45da22a42ab620762cc8022aa37

Modified Files
--------------
config/c-compiler.m4       | 46 +++++++++++++++++++---
configure                  | 96 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++--
configure.ac               |  1 +
meson.build                | 17 +++++++-
src/include/c.h            | 10 +++++
src/include/pg_config.h.in | 11 ++++--
6 files changed, 169 insertions(+), 12 deletions(-)