Subject: pgsql: Avoid exposing WAL receiver raw conninfo during timeline jumps

From: Michael Paquier <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 May 2026 23:18:12 +0000

Avoid exposing WAL receiver raw conninfo during timeline jumps

When reusing an existing WAL receiver after it has reached
WALRCV_WAITING for new instructions, RequestXLogStreaming() copied
PrimaryConnInfo into WalRcv->conninfo before switching the state to
WALRCV_RESTARTING.  At that point ready_to_display could still be true,
so pg_stat_wal_receiver could expose the raw connection string,
including sensitive fields, but it should only show the user-displayable
version of the connection string.

WALRCV_RESTARTING does not establish a new connection.  The waiting WAL
receiver reuses its existing connection and only needs a new startpoint
and timeline, so there is no need to copy the raw connection string into
shared memory again.  Let's only copy conninfo when launching a new WAL
receiver after WALRCV_STOPPED, not while waiting for instructions.

This commit adds coverage for the case fixed by this commit to the
timeline-switch test by verifying that the WAL receiver conninfo remains
consistent across the jump.

Backpatch all the way down, as this issue is possible since
pg_stat_wal_receiver has been introduced.

Author: Chao Li <[email-masked]>
Reviewed-by: Michael Paquier <[email-masked]>
Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/[email-masked]
Backpatch-through: 14

Branch
------
REL_16_STABLE

Details
-------
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/e037a4199617a678ebeb68d2ba722c5ed1cfeb6f

Modified Files
--------------
src/backend/replication/walreceiverfuncs.c | 14 +++++++++-----
src/test/recovery/t/004_timeline_switch.pl | 15 +++++++++++++--
2 files changed, 22 insertions(+), 7 deletions(-)