Subject: pgsql: Fix replace_property_refs() ignoring the root of expression tree

From: Peter Eisentraut <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 2026 08:08:02 +0000

Fix replace_property_refs() ignoring the root of expression tree

replace_property_refs() called expression_tree_mutator() with the root
of the expression tree as the input node.  But
expression_tree_mutator() does not call the mutator function on the
root node, so the root node remains unchanged.  If the root node is a
property reference or a lateral reference -- the two node kinds that
replace_property_refs_mutator() rewrites -- it is returned unchanged.
Modules after the rewriter do not know about property reference nodes,
resulting in "ERROR: unrecognized node type: 63".  Since varlevelsup
of lateral references is not incremented, they are not resolved
correctly in the planner, leading to many different symptoms.  Fix
this by calling replace_property_refs_mutator() directly from
replace_property_refs(), similar to how other mutator functions do.

The only case when a property reference or a lateral reference can be
the root of a GRAPH_TABLE expression tree is when it is a bare
property reference or a bare lateral reference in the WHERE clause.
The COLUMNS clause is passed to replace_property_refs() as a
targetlist.  Every other expression has at least one expression node
covering the property reference or a lateral reference in the
expression tree.  That explains why this bug was not seen so far.

Author: Ashutosh Bapat <[email-masked]>
Reported-by: Noah Misch <[email-masked]>
Discussion: https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/20260630173053.51.noahmisch%40microsoft.com

Branch
------
REL_19_STABLE

Details
-------
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/7883ea13ffdc6c657923031d80b2505d08f51e33

Modified Files
--------------
src/backend/rewrite/rewriteGraphTable.c   |  2 +-
src/test/regress/expected/graph_table.out | 38 +++++++++++++++++++++++--------
src/test/regress/sql/graph_table.sql      | 17 +++++++++-----
3 files changed, 41 insertions(+), 16 deletions(-)