Subject: pgsql: Add hints for sequence synchronization permission warnings

From: Fujii Masao <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 2026 09:17:25 +0000

Add hints for sequence synchronization permission warnings

Sequence synchronization reports insufficient privileges on publisher
and subscriber sequences, but the warnings do not indicate which role
needs which privilege. This makes common configuration mistakes harder
to diagnose.

Add HINT messages for these warnings. Publisher-side warnings suggest
granting SELECT to the role used for the replication connection.
Subscriber-side warnings suggest granting UPDATE to the subscription
owner when run_as_owner is enabled. Otherwise, the worker runs as the
sequence owner, so no useful GRANT hint can be provided.

Suggested-by : Amit Kapila <[email-masked]>
Author: Fujii Masao <[email-masked]>
Reviewed-by: Amit Kapila <[email-masked]>
Reviewed-by: Bharath Rupireddy <[email-masked]>
Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/CAA4eK1JOo0aJRhFHNWpj3hMwaTtNOopY34f1Lh_QD=z=[email-masked]
Backpatch-through: 19

Branch
------
master

Details
-------
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/3601f976c2e99123203413fd157f117632b3db78

Modified Files
--------------
doc/src/sgml/logical-replication.sgml          | 14 +++++++++++---
src/backend/replication/logical/sequencesync.c | 23 +++++++++++++++++++++--
2 files changed, 32 insertions(+), 5 deletions(-)