Subject: pgsql: doc: Clarify pg_get_sequence_data() NULL-return cases

From: Fujii Masao <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 2026 09:17:39 +0000

doc: Clarify pg_get_sequence_data() NULL-return cases

The documentation previously said that pg_get_sequence_data() returns
a row of NULL values if the sequence does not exist or if the current
user lacks privileges on it. This was incomplete and could be misleading.
A nonexistent relation name is rejected during regclass input conversion,
while the function returns NULLs for a nonexistent relation OID and
several other cases.

This commit clarifies that the function returns NULLs when the specified
relation OID does not exist, the relation is not a sequence, the current
user lacks SELECT privilege on the sequence, the sequence belongs to
another session's temporary schema, or it is an unlogged sequence on
a standby server.

Author: Amit Kapila <[email-masked]>
Reviewed-by: Fujii Masao <[email-masked]>
Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/CAA4eK1JOo0aJRhFHNWpj3hMwaTtNOopY34f1Lh_QD=z=[email-masked]
Backpatch-through: 19

Branch
------
REL_19_STABLE

Details
-------
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/67490b55f38d98bd08a6fa2764dd44a2a7c5a2db

Modified Files
--------------
doc/src/sgml/func/func-sequence.sgml | 10 ++++++----
1 file changed, 6 insertions(+), 4 deletions(-)