Subject: Multiple Buffer pools

From: Nailah Ogeer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 12:45:12 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,
I am currently undergoing the project of making postgres's single buffer
pool into multiple buffer pools hopefully to decrease the number of
physical reads. Just wondering if anyone has done some work on this
before. Also, I need some information on where the number of relations in
the system is defined.
thanks a lot
nailah

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 13:26:28 -0400

Nailah Ogeer <[email-masked]> writes:
> before.

To be honest, I think this is a complete waste of effort, as the optimal
buffering scheme for Postgres relies on OS-level caching more than
PG-internal caching.  But yes, it's been discussed before.  See the
archives for pgsql-performance and pgsql-hackers.

> Also, I need some information on where the number of relations in
> the system is defined.

There is no very practical way to determine that.  Any one backend can
only see one database, not the entire cluster; and at the time shared
memory is sized, you don't have any database access capability at all.

			regards, tom lane