Subject: Moving to PostGres

From: "Benjamin Stewart" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2002 02:00:23 GMT

Hello,
I am looking at moving our company away from MS SQL. Have been looking at
DB2 and it looks to have some good features. Now wondering if POSTGRESQL
could be a viable alternative. I have a few questions though;
1. What is the postgresql equiv to Stored procedures and can they be written
in another langauage such s JAVA?
2. How well is JAva supported for developing DB applications using PG?
3. What are the limitations to PG compared to DB2, Oracle, Sybase ?

Thanks
Ben

---

From: [email-masked] ()
Date: 7 Oct 2002 02:37:08 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
Benjamin Stewart <[email-masked]> wrote:

>I am looking at moving our company away from MS SQL.

Here's a good place to start:

  http://techdocs.postgresql.org/redir.php?link=/techdocs/sqlserver2pgsql.php

--
http://www.spinics.net/linux/

---

From: Neil Conway <[email-masked]>
Date: 07 Oct 2002 12:18:46 -0400

> in another langauage such s JAVA?

PostgreSQL supports user-defined functions; in 7.3 (currently in beta)
they can return sets of tuples.

You can define functions in Java using http://pljava.sf.net , or in a
variety of other languages (Perl, Python, Tcl, Ruby, C, PL/PgSQL, SQL,
sh, etc.)

> 2. How well is JAva supported for developing DB applications using

"Pretty well", I guess. If you have a specific question, ask it.

Cheers,

Neil

-- 
Neil Conway <[email-masked]> || PGP Key ID: DB3C29FC