Subject: Confusing names

From: Simon Riggs <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 22:21:32 +0100

Once before I mentioned that the Server Run-time Configuration chapter
was probably my most visited locations in the manual...

I like very much the split of that into two sections, but I think the
new chapter names are somewhat confusing.

My proposal would be to rename the chapters called

	Server Run-time Environment
	Run-time Configuration

to be

	Server and Operating System Environment
	Server Configuration Parameters

The first of these chapters is devoted exclusively to OS issues, some of
which are *not* run-time issues e.g. creating a database cluster, re-
configuring the OS kernel for various resources. Hence, I suggest
replacing the phrase Run-time with something associated with OS.

The second chapter is the server configuration chapter. It doesn't refer
to run-time *client* configuration, for example. Also the whole chapter
refers to "parameters" throughout, yet this is not mentioned in the
title. Also, the preset options section actually refers to settings that
are build-time parameters exposed at run-time, so perhaps the phrase
run-time is misleading.

Best Regards, Simon Riggs

---

From: Neil Conway <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 17:59:34 -0400

> new chapter names are somewhat confusing.

Yeah, I wasn't really sure about how to name them myself.

> 	Server Configuration Parameters

IMHO "Operating System Environment" and "Server Configuration" would be
more concise.

-Neil

---

From: Simon Riggs <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 23:16:07 +0100

> IMHO "Operating System Environment" and "Server Configuration" would be

Works for me. 

Feeling patchy?