Subject: Annoying "split to array" function inconsistency...best way to fix?

From: "David G. Johnston" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2015 10:49:01 -0400

Two functions exists that convert "text" to "text[]"

regexp_string_to_array(text, text [,text]) :
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/interactive/functions-string.html
string_to_array(text, text [, text]) :
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/interactive/functions-array.html

Would it be hateful to make it so that both entries appear on both tables?

array_to_string(anyarray, text [,text]) could be lumped in with this as
well.

string_to_array not being on the string functions page is the more glaring
omission for me.

David J.

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2015 18:54:35 -0400

> string_to_array not being on the string functions page is the more glaring

I am not excited about the idea of documenting functions twice; that would
almost certainly lead to the redundant entries getting out of sync.

We could possibly decide that string_to_array and array_to_string are
primarily string functions not array functions, and just move them to
the string-functions page.

Another possibility is to just add cross-references to the
string-functions page, like the existing one for string_agg().
But I think I like the first idea better, in view of
regexp_string_to_array already being here.

			regards, tom lane

-- 
Sent via pgsql-docs mailing list ([email-masked])
To make changes to your subscription:
http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-docs