Subject: developer FAQ

From: Alvaro Herrera <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2011 14:13:20 -0400

Hi,

I just noticed that the developer's FAQ has this question with a link to
the anoncvs cvsweb:
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Developer_FAQ#How_is_the_source_code_organized.3F

The link is
http://anoncvs.postgresql.org/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/pgsql/src/tools/backend/index.html
which no longer works.

The equivalent file in Git seems to be this one:
http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb?p=postgresql.git;a=blob;f=src/tools/backend/index.html;hb=HEAD

However, this displays the raw HTML instead of having it be interpreted
by the browser.  Anyone knows how to change this?

-- 
Álvaro Herrera <[email-masked]>

---

From: Heikki Linnakangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2011 21:28:15 +0300

> by the browser.  Anyone knows how to change this?

Oh, rats. I misunderstood your question, and changed the link to what 
you posted because it seemed to work for me. It was only after I saved 
that I realized what you meant - the link displays the html source, not 
properly rendered html.

Googling around for a solution...

-- 
   Heikki Linnakangas
   EnterpriseDB   http://www.enterprisedb.com

---

From: Heikki Linnakangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2011 21:48:56 +0300

> Googling around for a solution...

Hmm, is the /etc/mime.types file missing or somehow strange on that 
host? When I do "git instaweb" on my laptop in a clone of the repository 
and navigate to that index.html, it renders fine.

However, none of the links work. They contain relative links like 
"../../backend/bootstrap", which doesn't work with the more complicated 
URL scheme that gitweb uses.

How about we move this page to the wiki? It'd be more likely to get 
updated there too.

---

From: Alvaro Herrera <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2011 15:04:34 -0400

> and navigate to that index.html, it renders fine.

Possibly ...

> How about we move this page to the wiki? It'd be more likely to get 

I think I suggested that years ago when we moved the Developer's faq to
the wiki, and was turned down.  It wasn't much of a problem because it
still worked in the source, but now that it doesn't, I agree we should
do just that (assuming it can be made to work there).

-- 
Álvaro Herrera <[email-masked]>
The PostgreSQL Company - Command Prompt, Inc.
PostgreSQL Replication, Consulting, Custom Development, 24x7 support

---

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2011 19:06:32 +0200

>> and navigate to that index.html, it renders fine.

There is no /etc/mime.types, no.

Is this supposed to be the one from apache? freebsd seems to stick it
in /usr/local/etc/apache22/mime.types - but does gitweb use it
natively somehow?

> do just that (assuming it can be made to work there).

I still think it would make a lot of sense to put it on the wiki
instead. Do you recall what the arguments were for not having it
there?

-- 
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/
 Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/

---

From: Alvaro Herrera <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2011 15:41:39 -0300

> instead. Do you recall what the arguments were for not having it

Here's the old discussion:
http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/20080907205212.GE3975%40alvh.no-ip.org

Off to read it ...

---

From: Heikki Linnakangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2011 00:12:20 +0100

On 06.04.2011 18:06, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 21:04, Alvaro Herrera<[email-masked]>  wrote:

Yes, gitweb reads /etc/mime.types. You can also set $mimetypes_file in 
the config file to read from another location.

(but as discussed, all the links will be broken even if we get that one 
html file to display correctly)

---

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2011 22:51:07 +0200

On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 01:12, Heikki Linnakangas
<[email-masked]> wrote:
> Yes, gitweb reads /etc/mime.types. You can also set $mimetypes_file in the
> config file to read from another location.

I added:
our $mimetypes_file = '/usr/local/etc/apache22/mime.types';

but it made no difference at all.