Subject: CREATE TABLE LIKE

From: Patrick Samson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 00:32:18 -0800 (PST)

In postgresql-7.4.1-US.pdf,
CREATE TABLE,
Parameters,
Like,

Unlike INHERITS, the new table and inherited table ...
                                             ^^^^^
I don't understand this sentence (but english is not
my language).
Shouldn't it be?
Unlike INHERITS, the new table and inherited columns
...

__________________________________
Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Mail - More reliable, more storage, less spam
http://mail.yahoo.com

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 11:21:23 -0500

> I don't understand this sentence (but english is not

It doesn't seem to have been the language of the author of that paragraph,
either :-(

I've cleaned this up to read

      Unlike <literal>INHERITS</literal>, the new table and original table
      are completely decoupled after creation is complete.  Changes to the
      original table will not be applied to the new table, and it is not
      possible to include data of the new table in scans of the original
      table.

and added this to the description of INHERITS, just below:

     <para>
      Use of <literal>INHERITS</> creates a persistent relationship
      between the new child table and its parent table(s).  Schema
      modifications to the parent(s) normally propagate to children
      as well, and by default the data of the child table is included in
      scans of the parent(s).
     </para>

			regards, tom lane