Subject: docs/9.1/static/kernel-resources.html needs updating for NetBSD

From: Emmanuel Kasper <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 17:42:48 +0100

Hello

The default number of semaphores sets of NetBSD ist too low for Postgres
(tested on 9.1)

I would suggest replacing the sentence:

In NetBSD 5.0 and later, IPC parameters can be adjusted using sysctl,
for example:

$ sysctl -w kern.ipc.shmmax=16777216

with the following:

The default settings are only suitable for small installations. In
NetBSD 5.0 and later, IPC parameters should be adjusted using sysctl,
for example:

$ sysctl -w kern.ipc.shmmax=16777216
$ sysctl -w kern.ipc.semmni=256
$ sysctl -w kern.ipc.semmns=512

Tuning NetBSD for Postgres is mentionned at
http://wiki.netbsd.org/tutorials/tuning_netbsd_for_performance/

Emmanuel

-- 
Sent via pgsql-docs mailing list ([email-masked])
To make changes to your subscription:
http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-docs

---

From: Peter Eisentraut <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2013 18:55:00 -0500

> $ sysctl -w kern.ipc.semmns=512

In 9.3, the requirements for shared memory have changed, so this might
no longer be appropriate advice going forward.