Subject: pg_dump hangs

From: "Pavel Holec" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2014 16:22:33 +0100

Hi All,
 
On clear Windows XP pro and clear Windows 7 pro pg_dump hangs after creation backup file. (backup file is successfully created)
Clear Win I mean after install with vc redist 2010 only.
 
Problem is in pg_dump 9.3.2. and 9.3.3 only.
My testing was in  Oracle VM Virtual box and erlier versions pg_dump from 9.2 to 8.3 has no problem.
 
My tests was with cmd:
SET PGPASSWORD=***
pg_dump.exe -i -h 192.168.0.2 -p 5432 -U backup -Fc -b -v -f file.backup mydb
 
But tests with DB on localhost was no problem.
 
Pavel

---

From: David Johnston <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2014 12:52:43 -0800 (PST)

Holec wrote
> Hi All,
>  
> On clear Windows XP pro and clear Windows 7 pro pg_dump hangs after
> creation backup file. (backup file is successfully created)

First, this should have been posted to -general or, if you really feel
strongly about it, -bugs.  Not sure why you thought to post it to -docs... I
recommend re-posting to -general along with adding additional information.

The specific information you should include would be any rows from
"pg_stat_activity" that show activity; especially any that appear to belong
to the pg_dump process.  Depending on what activity is reported the
information returned from "pg_locks" may also prove helpful.

A couple of observations:

"-i" is deprecated (since at least 8.4)...
"-b" is only needed for selective dumps...
"-v" you've turned on verbose mode - maybe include the last handful of
output lines in your complaint...

Given the apparent testing of different versions of PostgreSQL you should
also provide the pairing of pg_dump and postgres that you are using (or
confirm they are the same).

David J.

--
View this message in context: http://postgresql.1045698.n5.nabble.com/pg-dump-hangs-tp5793304p5793389.html
Sent from the PostgreSQL - docs mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

-- 
Sent via pgsql-docs mailing list ([email-masked])
To make changes to your subscription:
http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-docs