Subject: sequences: cache_value, log_cnt, is_cycled columns

From: CSN <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 12:53:50 -0800 (PST)

I was just wondering, what are the "cache_value",
"long_cnt", and "is_cycled" sequence columns used for?
I couldn't find anything in the docs or Google.

select * from test_id_seq;
sequence_name | last_value | increment_by | max_value
| min_value | cache_value | log_cnt | is_cycled |
is_called
---------------+------------+--------------+---------------------+-----------+-------------+---------+-----------+-----------
test_id_seq | 1 | 1 | 9223372036854775807 | 1 | 1 | 1
| f | f
(1 row) 

__________________________________
Do you Yahoo!?
Exclusive Video Premiere - Britney Spears
http://launch.yahoo.com/promos/britneyspears/

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 16:28:24 -0500

> "long_cnt", and "is_cycled" sequence columns used for?

cache_value: CACHE parameter from CREATE SEQUENCE
is_cycled: CYCLE parameter from CREATE SEQUENCE
log_cnt: internal use (number of values available without writing
	 another WAL log entry, I think)

Docs folk: is it useful to document the columns of sequence objects,
or should we consider them all internal info?  If they should be
documented, where?  I'm kind of inclined to make an entry in the "system
catalogs" chapter, but I dunno what to title it ...

			regards, tom lane