Subject: Suspicious description of track_io_timing

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2016 04:18:33 +0000

The following documentation comment has been logged on the website:

Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/static/runtime-config-statistics.html
Description:

There is the following sentence in description of the track_io_timing 
parameter:

I/O timing information is displayed in &lt;xref 
linkend=&quot;pg-stat-database-view&quot;&gt;, in the output of &lt;xref 
linkend=&quot;sql-explain&quot;&gt; when the &lt;literal&gt;BUFFERS&lt;/&gt; option is used, and 
by &lt;xref linkend=&quot;pgstatstatements&quot;&gt;.

Is it correct? Shouldn&#39;t the TIMING option be mentioned there instead of 
BUFFERS?

-- 
Sent via pgsql-docs mailing list ([email-masked])
To make changes to your subscription:
http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-docs

---

From: Egor Rogov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2016 13:03:51 -0700 (MST)

Alexander Law wrote
> Page:
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/static/runtime-config-statistics.html
> Description:
> 
> linkend=&quot;sql-explain&quot;&gt; when the
> &lt;literal&gt;BUFFERS&lt;/&gt; option is used, and 

Yes, it's correct. Track_io_timing parameter corresponds to the buffer
manager. With BUFFERS option EXPLAIN shows buffers usage; when
track_io_timing is on it also shows I/O read and write time.

Egor Rogov
Postgres Professional: http://www.postgrespro.com
The Russian Postgres Company

--
View this message in context: http://postgresql.nabble.com/Suspicious-description-of-track-io-timing-tp5905853p5907482.html
Sent from the PostgreSQL - docs mailing list archive at Nabble.com.