Subject: ROW or RANGE not optional in range specification

From: "David G. Johnston" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2015 15:19:14 -0700

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/sql-select.html

Either I'm confused about the syntax description rules or the documentation
for this aspect of window definitions is wrong.

The expression:

[ RANGE | ROWS ]  BETWEEN frame_start AND frame_end

means that the specification of range or rows is optional - but that
doesn't appear to be the case...

The documentation should read:

{ RANGE | ROWS } BETWEEN frame_start AND frame_end

Same goes for the bare frame_start specification preceding the between
version.

The bare version looks funny without tag but "ORDER BY idx BETWEEN 5
PRECEDING AND CURRENT ROW" isn't obviously wrong until you get a syntax
error...

David J.

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2015 19:52:15 -0400

> { RANGE | ROWS } BETWEEN frame_start AND frame_end

Yup, you're right.  Thanks for spotting that!

			regards, tom lane

-- 
Sent via pgsql-docs mailing list ([email-masked])
To make changes to your subscription:
http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-docs