Subject: Clarification of DateStyle

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 00:47:01 -0400 (EDT)

I have applied the following patch to clarify the meaning of the second
DateStyle field.

-- 
  Bruce Momjian                        |  http://candle.pha.pa.us
  [email-masked]               |  (610) 359-1001
  +  If your life is a hard drive,     |  13 Roberts Road
  +  Christ can be your backup.        |  Newtown Square, Pennsylvania 19073
Index: runtime.sgml
===================================================================
RCS file: /cvsroot/pgsql-server/doc/src/sgml/runtime.sgml,v
retrieving revision 1.258
diff -c -c -r1.258 runtime.sgml
*** runtime.sgml	7 Apr 2004 05:05:49 -0000	1.258
--- runtime.sgml	15 Apr 2004 04:45:46 -0000
***************
*** 2433,2449 ****
        <indexterm><primary>date style</></>
        <listitem>
         <para>
!         Sets the display format for date and time values, as well as
!         the rules for interpreting ambiguous date input values.
!         For historical reasons, this variable contains two independent
          components: the output format specification (<literal>ISO</>,
!         <literal>Postgres</>, <literal>SQL</>, or <literal>German</>) and
!         the date field order specification (<literal>DMY</>, <literal>MDY</>,
!         or <literal>YMD</>).  These can be set separately or together.
!         The keywords <literal>Euro</> and <literal>European</> are synonyms
!         for <literal>DMY</>; the keywords <literal>US</>, <literal>NonEuro</>,
!         and <literal>NonEuropean</> are synonyms for <literal>MDY</>.
!         See <xref linkend="datatype-datetime"> for more information.  The
          default is <literal>ISO, MDY</>.
         </para>
        </listitem>
--- 2433,2450 ----
        <indexterm><primary>date style</></>
        <listitem>
         <para>
!         Sets the display format for date and time values, as well as the
!         rules for interpreting ambiguous date input values. For
!         historical reasons, this variable contains two independent
          components: the output format specification (<literal>ISO</>,
!         <literal>Postgres</>, <literal>SQL</>, or <literal>German</>)
!         and the input/output specification for year/month/day ordering
!         (<literal>DMY</>, <literal>MDY</>, or <literal>YMD</>). These
!         can be set separately or together. The keywords <literal>Euro</>
!         and <literal>European</> are synonyms for <literal>DMY</>; the
!         keywords <literal>US</>, <literal>NonEuro</>, and
!         <literal>NonEuropean</> are synonyms for <literal>MDY</>. See
!         <xref linkend="datatype-datetime"> for more information. The
          default is <literal>ISO, MDY</>.
         </para>
        </listitem>

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 01:27:39 -0400

> I have applied the following patch to clarify the meaning of the second

Am I seeing correctly that this is actually just a one-word insertion?
You do your readers no favor by providing patches for comment that
consist largely of content-free rearrangement of line breaks.

			regards, tom lane

---

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 01:33:41 -0400 (EDT)

> consist largely of content-free rearrangement of line breaks.

Yea, confusing.  The change was from:

	and the date field order specification 

to:

        and the input/output specification for year/month/day ordering

When I am in there, I take the opportunity to clean up the arrangement. 
If I don't my new text pushes everything out of alignment.

I guess I could make the changes, do a diff, then reformat before
applying to CVS.  Would that help?

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 08:28:05 -0400

> applying to CVS.  Would that help?

Yeah, it'd make it easier to see the forest for the trees...

			regards, tom lane