Subject: Compiling postgresql

From: "Delao, Darryl W" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 12:16:35 -0600

As it stands, I have postgres set to a max limit of 512 users.  I have been
told and read some material to where anything above 512 users may require re
compiling postgres.  I have installed postgres via a RPM and therefore have
never had to compile postgres before.  My main concern is what would I need
to change other than the user limit to make postgres to where it would
accept connections higher than 512 and what steps are involved in the
compiling process.  Right now, if I try to set the user limit above 512,
postgres simply will not start.  Any help is greatly appreciated.  
 
Thank you!
Darryl

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2003 15:59:23 -0500

> postgres simply will not start.  Any help is greatly appreciated.  

You mean 512 concurrent connections?  It sounds to me like you are
running into kernel-level limits on amount of shared memory or number
of semaphores.  But without seeing the error message the postmaster
puts out, it's hard to be sure.  See the discussion about "Managing
Kernel Resources" in the PG Administrator's Guide.

There has been no compile-time limit on number of connections for
several releases now, so I doubt you need to recompile.  (If you do,
you are overdue for an update.)

			regards, tom lane