Subject: Minor Typo in SELECT docs

From: Thomas F.O'Connell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2004 16:36:24 -0500

There is a reference to the "sql_interitance" configuration in the 
7.4.x docs:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/static/sql-select.html

I don't know whether their will be anything beyond 7.4.5, but this 
would be an easy patch.

-tfo

---

From: Neil Conway <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 09:31:09 +1000

Thomas F.O'Connell wrote:
> There is a reference to the "sql_interitance" configuration in the 7.4.x 
> docs:

Since it's fixed in HEAD, I think we're fine -- we usually don't bother 
applying documentation fixes to release branches, even if there were 
plans for another 7.4.x release.

-Neil

---

From: Alvaro Herrera <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 19:47:28 -0400

> plans for another 7.4.x release.

Oh, is this really a good policy?

-- 
Alvaro Herrera (<alvherre[a]dcc.uchile.cl>)
"I personally became interested in Linux while I was dating an English major
who wouldn't know an operating system if it walked up and bit him."
(Val Henson)

---

From: Thomas F.O'Connell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 18:50:58 -0500

I second Alvaro: Why is that?

-tfo

On Sep 9, 2004, at 6:47 PM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

>>> 7.4.x

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2004 23:41:40 -0400

> Oh, is this really a good policy?

It's not so much that we have a "policy" as that we have a finite number
of committers with finite time.  If any committer wants to go and fix
this trivial typo in a back branch, no one will say boo.  But I doubt
any of us will take the time either.  There are a lot of typos besides
this one, and always have been.  Personally I'd rather spend the time
proofing current docs.

			regards, tom lane

---

From: Neil Conway <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 14:44:40 +1000

Tom Lane wrote:
> There are a lot of typos besides this one, and always have been.
> Personally I'd rather spend the time proofing current docs.

Also, there's been a tendency in the past to not regenerate the online 
docs for each point release in a stable branch (particularly for formats 
like PS and PDF). So that's been another reason we haven't bothered with 
this in the past. I tend to agree with Tom that it's not really worth 
the trouble to backport these kinds of fixes, as long as it's just a 
cosmetic typo.

-Neil

---

From: Peter Eisentraut <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 10:56:56 +0200

Neil Conway wrote:
> Since it's fixed in HEAD, I think we're fine -- we usually don't
> bother applying documentation fixes to release branches, even if
> there were plans for another 7.4.x release.

I was under the impression that we usually do.  Time permitting, of 
course.

-- 
Peter Eisentraut
http://developer.postgresql.org/~petere/

---

From: Robert Treat <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 08:56:55 -0400

> I was under the impression that we usually do.  Time permitting, of

Well, we've certainly been getting drilled to regenerate the idocs on the 
website with each new release in the 7.4.x series. 

-- 
Robert Treat
Build A Brighter Lamp :: Linux Apache {middleware} PostgreSQL

---

From: Peter Eisentraut <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 16:53:30 +0200

Robert Treat wrote:
> > > > There is a reference to the "sql_interitance" configuration in
> > > > the 7.4.x docs:
> > >
> Well, we've certainly been getting drilled to regenerate the idocs on
> the website with each new release in the 7.4.x series.

Yes, that was me among others, exactly because of the above.

---

From: Thomas F.O'Connell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 11:41:34 -0500

Well, here's a patch for select.sgml should a committer ever feel 
inspired:

@@ -190,7 +190,7 @@
          the default behavior.  (In releases before 7.1,
          <literal>ONLY</> was the default behavior.)  The default
          behavior can be modified by changing the
-        <varname>sql_interitance</varname> configuration option.
+        <varname>sql_inheritance</varname> configuration option.
         </para>
        </listitem>
       </varlistentry>

-tfo

---

From: Neil Conway <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 22:01:17 +1000

> Well, here's a patch for select.sgml should a committer ever feel 

Patch applied -- thanks.

-Neil