Subject: ALTER SERVER SYNTAX ISSUE

From: PG Doc comments form <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2018 23:52:06 +0000

The following documentation comment has been logged on the website:

Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/static/sql-alterserver.html
Description:

I found that the alter server statement below does not work:

ALTER SERVER foo OPTIONS (host 'foo', dbname 'foodb');

but this does:

ALTER SERVER foo OPTIONS (set host 'foo', set dbname 'foodb');

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2018 07:57:18 -0400

> ALTER SERVER foo OPTIONS (set host 'foo', set dbname 'foodb');

Hm, define "does not work".  Those aren't equivalent: the first
form adds options that weren't already set, while the second one
changes the values of already-set options.  (The SQL committee
were being unreasonably nitpicky in not providing an add-or-replace
choice, IMO, but that's how the spec is written.)

Is your complaint just that this is inadequately documented?
I see that it's not spelled out in so many words on that page.

			regards, tom lane