Subject: pgcrypto and dblink

From: "Roberts, Jon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 14:46:36 -0500

I am moving from Windows to Solaris and I need pgcrypto and dblink.
Where are these?  I don't see anything in the configure that suggests it
is even an option.

Jon

---

From: "Douglas McNaught" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 16:09:01 -0400

>  Where are these?  I don't see anything in the configure that suggests it

They're not handled by 'configure'.  They are in the 'contrib'
directory in the source tree, and you install them by first installing
PG itself, then go into the module directory, e.g. 'contrib/pgcrypto',
and running 'make'.

-Doug

---

From: Rodrigo Gonzalez <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 17:26:42 -0300

> Where are these?  I don't see anything in the configure that suggests it
They are contribs, you have to install them after pgsql

---

From: "Roberts, Jon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 15:49:31 -0500

> >  Where are these?  I don't see anything in the configure that
suggests
> it

Thanks so much!

Wouldn't it make sense to add a section to this page that describes the
contrib process?
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/install-post.html

I had thought all of the installation options were set using configure.
A post installation step is fine but I think it needs to be documented
as such.

Jon

---

From: Chris Browne <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 18:35:28 -0400

> Where are these?  I don't see anything in the configure that suggests it

They are part of the set of "contrib" functions.

You head to directory "contrib", and, if those are the only ones you
need, head assortedly to:

a) contrib/pgcrypto, and run "make install" to install that, then

b) contrib/dblink, and (surprise!) run "make install" to install it.

That compiles anything that needs to be compiled, and stows the object
code in the installation's "lib" area, and stows scripts to activate
the respective services in the installation's "share" area.

So step c) and d) would be...

c) Load, into whichever databases you want to use these functions in,
the script
   share/contrib/pgcrypto.sql

d) Load, into whichever databases you want to use these functions in,
the script
   share/contrib/dblink.sql
-- 
(reverse (concatenate 'string "ofni.secnanifxunil" "@" "enworbbc"))
http://cbbrowne.com/info/languages.html
Monday is an awful way to spend one seventh of your life.  -- Unknown

---

From: Robert Treat <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 15:02:39 -0400

> A post installation step is fine but I think it needs to be documented

There are instructions on how to install them at 
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/interactive/contrib.html, but your right 
they don't seem to be mentioned anywhere in the install section.  I'm not 
sure where it should go, but perhaps making it 15.6.1 and bumping the other 
items down a notch. 

-- 
Robert Treat
Build A Brighter LAMP :: Linux Apache {middleware} PostgreSQL