Subject: "Cosmetic" FAQ patch

From: Ian Barwick <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 20:26:54 +0200

A few very minor changes (also making the document 
correct HTML 4.01 transitional as defined by 
validator.w3.org, FWIW ;-).

German FAQ will follow in a day or two.

Ian Barwick
[email-masked]

Index: FAQ.html
===================================================================
RCS file: /projects/cvsroot/pgsql-server/doc/src/FAQ/FAQ.html,v
retrieving revision 1.161
diff -c -r1.161 FAQ.html
*** FAQ.html	2002/10/17 23:34:10	1.161
--- FAQ.html	2002/10/20 18:16:28
***************
*** 1,12 ****
! <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD html 4.01 transitional//EN">
! 
  <HTML>
-   <!-- DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 3.2//EN" -->
-   <!-- HTML -->
- 
    <HEAD>
      <META name="generator" content="HTML Tidy, see www.w3.org">
! 
      <TITLE>PostgreSQL FAQ</TITLE>
    </HEAD>
  
--- 1,8 ----
! <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
  <HTML>
    <HEAD>
      <META name="generator" content="HTML Tidy, see www.w3.org">
!     <META http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=US-ASCII">
      <TITLE>PostgreSQL FAQ</TITLE>
    </HEAD>
  
***************
*** 80,89 ****
      clients"</I> when trying to connect?<BR>
       <A href="#3.9">3.9</A>) What is in the  <I>pgsql_tmp</I>
      directory?<BR>
!      <A href="#3.10">3.10</A>) Why do I need to do a dump and restore 
      to upgrade PostgreSQL releases?<BR>
-      
  
      <H2 align="center">Operational Questions</H2>
      <A href="#4.1">4.1</A>) What is the difference between binary
      cursors and normal cursors?<BR>
--- 76,85 ----
      clients"</I> when trying to connect?<BR>
       <A href="#3.9">3.9</A>) What is in the  <I>pgsql_tmp</I>
      directory?<BR>
!      <A href="#3.10">3.10</A>) Why do I need to do a dump and restore
      to upgrade PostgreSQL releases?<BR>
  
+ 
      <H2 align="center">Operational Questions</H2>
      <A href="#4.1">4.1</A>) What is the difference between binary
      cursors and normal cursors?<BR>
***************
*** 440,448 ****
        <I>Features</I> section above. We are built for reliability and
        features, though we continue to improve performance in every
        release. There is an interesting Web page comparing PostgreSQL to
!       MySQL at <A href= "http://openacs.org/why-not-mysql.html">
! 
!       http://openacs.org/why-not-mysql.html</A><BR>
  
        <BR>
        </DD>
--- 436,443 ----
        <I>Features</I> section above. We are built for reliability and
        features, though we continue to improve performance in every
        release. There is an interesting Web page comparing PostgreSQL to
!       MySQL at <A href="http://openacs.org/philosophy/why-not-mysql.html">
!       http://openacs.org/philosophy/why-not-mysql.html</A><BR>
  
        <BR>
        </DD>
***************
*** 653,659 ****
  
      <P>If you are doing many <SMALL>INSERTs</SMALL>, consider doing
      them in a large batch using the <SMALL>COPY</SMALL> command. This
!     is much faster than individual <SMALL>INSERTS.</SMALL> Second,
      statements not in a <SMALL>BEGIN WORK/COMMIT</SMALL> transaction
      block are considered to be in their own transaction. Consider
      performing several statements in a single transaction block. This
--- 648,654 ----
  
      <P>If you are doing many <SMALL>INSERTs</SMALL>, consider doing
      them in a large batch using the <SMALL>COPY</SMALL> command. This
!     is much faster than individual <SMALL>INSERTS</SMALL>. Second,
      statements not in a <SMALL>BEGIN WORK/COMMIT</SMALL> transaction
      block are considered to be in their own transaction. Consider
      performing several statements in a single transaction block. This
***************
*** 721,727 ****
      <P>If <I>postmaster</I> is running, start <I>psql</I> in one
      window, then find the <SMALL>PID</SMALL> of the <I>postgres</I>
      process used by <I>psql</I>. Use a debugger to attach to the
!     <I>postgres</I> <SMALL>PID.</SMALL> You can set breakpoints in the
      debugger and issue queries from <I>psql</I>. If you are debugging
      <I>postgres</I> startup, you can set PGOPTIONS="-W n", then start
      <I>psql</I>. This will cause startup to delay for <I>n</I> seconds
--- 716,722 ----
      <P>If <I>postmaster</I> is running, start <I>psql</I> in one
      window, then find the <SMALL>PID</SMALL> of the <I>postgres</I>
      process used by <I>psql</I>. Use a debugger to attach to the
!     <I>postgres</I> <SMALL>PID</SMALL>. You can set breakpoints in the
      debugger and issue queries from <I>psql</I>. If you are debugging
      <I>postgres</I> startup, you can set PGOPTIONS="-W n", then start
      <I>psql</I>. This will cause startup to delay for <I>n</I> seconds
***************
*** 759,765 ****
      maximum number of processes, <SMALL>NPROC;</SMALL> the maximum
      number of processes per user, <SMALL>MAXUPRC;</SMALL> and the
      maximum number of open files, <SMALL>NFILE</SMALL> and
!     <SMALL>NINODE.</SMALL> The reason that PostgreSQL has a limit on
      the number of allowed backend processes is so your system won't run
      out of resources.</P>
  
--- 754,760 ----
      maximum number of processes, <SMALL>NPROC;</SMALL> the maximum
      number of processes per user, <SMALL>MAXUPRC;</SMALL> and the
      maximum number of open files, <SMALL>NFILE</SMALL> and
!     <SMALL>NINODE</SMALL>. The reason that PostgreSQL has a limit on
      the number of allowed backend processes is so your system won't run
      out of resources.</P>
  
***************
*** 768,781 ****
      the MaxBackendId constant in
      <I>include/storage/sinvaladt.h</I>.</P>
  
!     <H4><A name="3.9">3.9</A>) What are the <I>pgsql_tmp</I>
!     directory?</H4>
  
!     <P>They are temporary files generated by the query executor. For
!     example, if a sort needs to be done to satisfy an <SMALL>ORDER
!     BY,</SMALL> and the sort requires more space than the backend's
!     <I>-S</I> parameter allows, then temporary files are created to
!     hold the extra data.</P>
  
      <P>The temporary files are usually deleted automatically, but might
      remain if a backend crashes during a sort. A stop and restart of the
--- 763,775 ----
      the MaxBackendId constant in
      <I>include/storage/sinvaladt.h</I>.</P>
  
!     <H4><A name="3.9">3.9</A>) What is in the <I>pgsql_tmp</I> directory?</H4>
  
!     <P>This directory contains temporary files generated by the query 
!     executor. For example, if a sort needs to be done to satisfy an 
!     <SMALL>ORDER BY</SMALL> and the sort requires more space than the
!     backend's <I>-S</I> parameter allows, then temporary files are created
!     here to hold the extra data.</P>
  
      <P>The temporary files are usually deleted automatically, but might
      remain if a backend crashes during a sort. A stop and restart of the
***************
*** 815,821 ****
  
      <P>The entire query may have to be evaluated, even if you only want
      the first few rows. Consider using a query that has an <SMALL>ORDER
!     BY.</SMALL> If there is an index that matches the <SMALL>ORDER
      BY</SMALL>, PostgreSQL may be able to evaluate only the first few
      records requested, or the entire query may have to be evaluated
      until the desired rows have been generated.</P>
--- 809,815 ----
  
      <P>The entire query may have to be evaluated, even if you only want
      the first few rows. Consider using a query that has an <SMALL>ORDER
!     BY</SMALL>. If there is an index that matches the <SMALL>ORDER
      BY</SMALL>, PostgreSQL may be able to evaluate only the first few
      records requested, or the entire query may have to be evaluated
      until the desired rows have been generated.</P>
***************
*** 955,976 ****
  </PRE>
  
      <P>When using wild-card operators such as <SMALL>LIKE</SMALL> or
!     <I>~</I>, indexes can only be used in certain circumstances:
      <UL>
      <LI>The beginning of the search string must be anchored to the start
!     of the string, i.e.:</LI>
      <UL>
!     <LI><SMALL>LIKE</SMALL> patterns must not start with <I>%.</I></LI>
      <LI><I>~</I> (regular expression) patterns must start with
!     <I>^.</I></LI>
!     </UL>
      <LI>The search string can not start with a character class,
      e.g. [a-e].</LI>
      <LI>Case-insensitive searches such as <SMALL>ILIKE</SMALL> and
      <I>~*</I> do not utilise indexes. Instead, use functional
      indexes, which are described in section <a href="#4.12">4.12</a>.</LI>
      <LI>The default <I>C</I> locale must be used during
!     <i>initdb.</i></LI>
      </UL>
      <P>
  
--- 949,970 ----
  </PRE>
  
      <P>When using wild-card operators such as <SMALL>LIKE</SMALL> or
!     <I>~</I>, indexes can only be used in certain circumstances:</P>
      <UL>
      <LI>The beginning of the search string must be anchored to the start
!     of the string, i.e.
      <UL>
!     <LI><SMALL>LIKE</SMALL> patterns must not start with <I>%</I>.</LI>
      <LI><I>~</I> (regular expression) patterns must start with
!     <I>^</I>.</LI>
!     </UL></LI>
      <LI>The search string can not start with a character class,
      e.g. [a-e].</LI>
      <LI>Case-insensitive searches such as <SMALL>ILIKE</SMALL> and
      <I>~*</I> do not utilise indexes. Instead, use functional
      indexes, which are described in section <a href="#4.12">4.12</a>.</LI>
      <LI>The default <I>C</I> locale must be used during
!     <i>initdb</i>.</LI>
      </UL>
      <P>
  
***************
*** 1341,1347 ****
      Because PostgreSQL loads database-specific system catalogs, it is
      uncertain how a cross-database query should even behave.</P>
  
!     <P><I>/contrib/dblink</I> allows cross-database queries using
      function calls. Of course, a client can make simultaneous
      connections to different databases and merge the results on the
      client side.</P>
--- 1335,1341 ----
      Because PostgreSQL loads database-specific system catalogs, it is
      uncertain how a cross-database query should even behave.</P>
  
!     <P><I>contrib/dblink</I> allows cross-database queries using
      function calls. Of course, a client can make simultaneous
      connections to different databases and merge the results on the
      client side.</P>
***************
*** 1378,1390 ****
      <H4><A name="4.28">4.28</A>) What encryption options are available?
      </H4>
      <UL>
!     <LI><I>/contrib/pgcrypto</I> contains many encryption functions for
      use in <SMALL>SQL</SMALL> queries.</LI>
      <LI>The only way to encrypt transmission from the client to the
      server is by using <I>hostssl</I> in <I>pg_hba.conf</I>.</LI>
      <LI>Database user passwords are automatically encrypted when stored
      in version 7.3. In previous versions, you must enable the option
!     <i>PASSWORD_ENCRYPTION</i> in <i>postgresql.conf</i>.</LI>
      <LI>The server can run using an encrypted file system.</LI>
      </UL>
  
--- 1372,1384 ----
      <H4><A name="4.28">4.28</A>) What encryption options are available?
      </H4>
      <UL>
!     <LI><I>contrib/pgcrypto</I> contains many encryption functions for
      use in <SMALL>SQL</SMALL> queries.</LI>
      <LI>The only way to encrypt transmission from the client to the
      server is by using <I>hostssl</I> in <I>pg_hba.conf</I>.</LI>
      <LI>Database user passwords are automatically encrypted when stored
      in version 7.3. In previous versions, you must enable the option
!     <I>PASSWORD_ENCRYPTION</I> in <I>postgresql.conf</I>.</LI>
      <LI>The server can run using an encrypted file system.</LI>
      </UL>
  
***************
*** 1412,1418 ****
      functions are fully supported in C, PL/PgSQL, and SQL. See the
      Programmer's Guide for more information. An example of a
      table-returning function defined in C can be found in
!     contrib/tablefunc.</P>
  
      <H4><A name="5.4">5.4</A>) I have changed a source file. Why does
      the recompile not see the change?</H4>
--- 1406,1412 ----
      functions are fully supported in C, PL/PgSQL, and SQL. See the
      Programmer's Guide for more information. An example of a
      table-returning function defined in C can be found in
!     <I>contrib/tablefunc</I>.</P>
  
      <H4><A name="5.4">5.4</A>) I have changed a source file. Why does
      the recompile not see the change?</H4>

---

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 20:47:32 -0400 (EDT)

Patch applied.  Thanks.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

> German FAQ will follow in a day or two.

[ Attachment, skipping... ]

> 
> ---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
> TIP 1: subscribe and unsubscribe commands go to [email-masked]

-- 
  Bruce Momjian                        |  http://candle.pha.pa.us
  [email-masked]               |  (610) 359-1001
  +  If your life is a hard drive,     |  13 Roberts Road
  +  Christ can be your backup.        |  Newtown Square, Pennsylvania 19073