Subject: Monitoring

From: "Delao, Darryl W" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 11:21:46 -0600

Anyone aware of any tool or command line option to view active and inactive
postgres connections?  Is there a setting in postgres that sets the
Time_Wait to something lower?  Also, is there a command to kill a specific
connection at any given time?

Thank you,
Darryl

---

From: Rod Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: 05 Mar 2003 12:50:54 -0500

> connection at any given time?

No, but I'd love something that can throw an SNMP event when queries are
taking too long -- or someone is idling in a transaction...

-- 
Rod Taylor <[email-masked]>

PGP Key: http://www.rbt.ca/rbtpub.asc

---

From: Neil Conway <[email-masked]>
Date: 05 Mar 2003 20:15:19 -0500

On Wed, 2003-03-05 at 12:21, Delao, Darryl W wrote:
> postgres connections?

http://www.ca.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/7.3/postgres/monitoring-stats.html

> Also, is there a command to kill a specific connection at any given time?

kill(1) is the only one I'm aware of.

Cheers,

Neil

P.S. User support questions should probably be directed to a mailing
list like pgsql-general or pgsql-novice

-- 
Neil Conway <[email-masked]> || PGP Key ID: DB3C29FC

---

From: Oliver Crow <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 17:33:15 -0800 (PST)

> connection at any given time?

Postgres starts a server process for each client connection.  You can use
/bin/ps to show the active connection processes.  The process command
string gives some information about what each connection is doing -- the
user and database being used, whether the connection is idle or processing
a query and the type of the query, as well as whether it's in a
transaction.

You can kill a connection, simply by killing the corresponding postgres
process.

% ps -auwwx | grep ^pgsql

pgsql  52081  Tue03PM  0:02.27 /usr/local/bin/postmaster (postgres)
pgsql  52082  Tue03PM  0:00.20 postmaster: stats buffer process    (postgres)
pgsql  52084  Tue03PM  0:00.98 postmaster: stats collector process    (postgres)
pgsql  65062  5:05PM   0:04.25 postmaster: ocrow ocrow [local] SELECT (postgres)
pgsql  65071  5:05PM   0:00.04 postmaster: ocrow ocrow [local] idle (postgres)

In this list process 65062 is executing a select query, and 65071
is idle.

Oliver