Subject: Man pages for 8.0

From: Peter Eisentraut <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2004 20:31:06 +0200

I've built man pages for 8.0 and put them at the usual place 
(/pub/dev/doc, not sure why they don't show up on the ftp server, 
though).  We have the problem, however, that the man pages now have 
many links to other parts of the documentation, which cannot be 
represented well in a man page.  The built man pages are currently full 
of  things like

"""
Sets the default locale for the database cluster. If this
option is not specified, the locale is inherited from the
environment that \fBinitdb\fR runs in. Locale
support is described in [XRef to LOCALE].
"""

Not sure how to resolve that.  Ideas?

-- 
Peter Eisentraut
http://developer.postgresql.org/~petere/

---

From: Josh Berkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 10:00:23 -0700

Peter,

> support is described in [XRef to LOCALE].

I see now why you didn't want me to make runtime.sgml full of XRefs.

-- 
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

---

From: Peter Eisentraut <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 19:32:50 +0200

> I see now why you didn't want me to make runtime.sgml full of XRefs.

Umm, no, I have no problem with xrefs in runtime.sgml.  The issue here 
is having xrefs from parts that are converted to man pages linking to 
parts that do not become parts of any man pages.