Subject: problems in vacuumdb.1

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2004 23:02:31 -0500

This is automatically generated email about problems in a man page for which
you appear to be responsible.  If you are not the right person or list, tell
me and I will attempt to correct my database.

See http://catb.org/~esr/doclifter/problems.html for details on how and
why these patches were generated.  Feel free to email me with any questions.
Note: These patches do not change the mod date of any manual page.  You
may wish to do that by hand.

Problems with vacuumdb.1:

1. Broken command synopsis syntax.  This may mean you're using a
construction in the command synopsis other than the standard
[ ] | { }, or it may mean you have running text in the command synopsis
section (the latter is not technically an error, but it's impossible
to translate into DocBook markup).

--- vacuumdb.1-orig	2004-07-29 09:57:38.442563992 -0400
+++ vacuumdb.1	2004-07-29 09:57:55.544964032 -0400
@@ -5,7 +5,7 @@
 
 .SH SYNOPSIS
 .sp
-\fBvacuumdb\fR\fR [ \fR\fB\fIconnection-option\fB\fR...\fB \fR\fR]\fR \fR[\fR \fB--full\fR\fR | \fR\fB-f\fR\fR ]\fR \fR[\fR \fB--verbose\fR\fR | \fR\fB-v\fR\fR ]\fR \fR[\fR \fB--analyze\fR\fR | \fR\fB-z\fR\fR ]\fR\fR [ \fR\fB--table | -t \fItable\fB\fR [ \fB( \fIcolumn\fB [,...] ) \fR]\fB \fR\fR]\fR\fR [ \fR\fB\fIdbname\fB \fR\fR]\fR
+\fBvacuumdb\fR\fR [ \fR\fB\fIconnection-option\fB\fR...\fB \fR\fR]\fR \fR[\fR \fB--full\fR\fR | \fR\fB-f\fR\fR ]\fR \fR[\fR \fB--verbose\fR\fR | \fR\fB-v\fR\fR ]\fR \fR[\fR \fB--analyze\fR\fR | \fR\fB-z\fR\fR ]\fR\fR [ \fR\fB--table | -t \fItable\fB\fR [ \fBcolumnspecs \fR]\fB \fR\fR]\fR\fR [ \fR\fB\fIdbname\fB \fR\fR]\fR
 
 \fBvacuumdb\fR\fR [ \fR\fB\fIconnection-options\fB\fR...\fB \fR\fR]\fR \fR[\fR \fB--all\fR\fR | \fR\fB-a\fR\fR ]\fR \fR[\fR \fB--full\fR\fR | \fR\fB-f\fR\fR ]\fR \fR[\fR \fB--verbose\fR\fR | \fR\fB-v\fR\fR ]\fR \fR[\fR \fB--analyze\fR\fR | \fR\fB-z\fR\fR ]\fR
 .SH "DESCRIPTION"
-----------------------------

--
                             Eric S. Raymond

---

From: Peter Eisentraut <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 08:28:01 +0100

[email-masked] wrote:
> [ ] | { }, or it may mean you have running text in the command
> synopsis section (the latter is not technically an error, but it's
> impossible to translate into DocBook markup).

Look at the original DocBook source:

  <cmdsynopsis>
   <command>vacuumdb</command>
   <arg rep="repeat"><replaceable>connection-option</replaceable></arg>
   <group><arg>--full</arg><arg>-f</arg></group>
   <group><arg>--verbose</arg><arg>-v</arg></group>
   <group><arg>--analyze</arg><arg>-z</arg></group>
   <arg>--table | -t <replaceable>table</replaceable>
    <arg>( <replaceable class="parameter">column</replaceable> 
[,...] )</arg>
   </arg>
   <arg><replaceable>dbname</replaceable></arg>
   <sbr>
   <command>vacuumdb</command>
   <arg rep="repeat"><replaceable>connection-options</replaceable></arg>
   <group><arg>--all</arg><arg>-a</arg></group>
   <group><arg>--full</arg><arg>-f</arg></group>
   <group><arg>--verbose</arg><arg>-v</arg></group>
   <group><arg>--analyze</arg><arg>-z</arg></group>
  </cmdsynopsis>

If you have a suggestion how to mark up the [, ...] then we would 
welcome it, but I don't think your proposed patch will do it.

-- 
Peter Eisentraut
http://developer.postgresql.org/~petere/