Subject: Whither "External Projects"?

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 17:21:27 -0500

I'm pretty well convinced that the new docs chapter "External Projects"
does not belong under the Client Interfaces volume.  If it only covered
client interfaces then maybe it'd belong there, but it doesn't --- and
I'm sure that the discussion of non-interface projects will expand.

Another possibility is to put it in the Administrator's Guide, but that
seems to suffer from the opposite problem.

We could make it an Appendix, but that sort of amounts to burying the
info, which isn't what we want either.

I'm about half tempted to add it to the Preface.

Thoughts?

			regards, tom lane

---

From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 14:35:21 -0800

>I'm about half tempted to add it to the Preface.
It seems that it should be broken up by the type of external project.
Most I would gather belong in the developers guide but things like
pgAdminIII are probably best suited for the administrators guide.

j

>Thoughts?
>
>			regards, tom lane
>
>---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
>TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster
>  
>

-- 
Command Prompt, Inc., home of Mammoth PostgreSQL - S/ODBC and S/JDBC
Postgresql support, programming shared hosting and dedicated hosting.
+1-503-667-4564 - [email-masked] - http://www.commandprompt.com
PostgreSQL Replicator -- production quality replication for PostgreSQL

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 17:41:05 -0500

"Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]> writes:
>> does not belong under the Client Interfaces volume.

> pgAdminIII are probably best suited for the administrators guide.

Well, the actual meat of the section is the pointer to GBorg and
pgFoundry --- once you've said that the rest of it is more or less
fluff, and quickly-obsoleted fluff at that.  I'm not that eager to
duplicate the pointer in different places.

			regards, tom lane

---

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 18:00:09 -0500 (EST)

> I'm about half tempted to add it to the Preface.

The Preface would be OK if it didn't have so much client-interface
specific stuff in it.  I wonder if Appendix is best, with a pointer to
the appendix at the end of the Client section.

-- 
  Bruce Momjian                        |  http://candle.pha.pa.us
  [email-masked]               |  (610) 359-1001
  +  If your life is a hard drive,     |  13 Roberts Road
  +  Christ can be your backup.        |  Newtown Square, Pennsylvania 19073

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 18:18:02 -0500

> the appendix at the end of the Client section.

We could do that and put the pointer into the Client front-matter.

			regards, tom lane

---

From: Peter Eisentraut <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 03:01:36 +0100

Tom Lane wrote:
> > specific stuff in it.  I wonder if Appendix is best, with a pointer
> > to the appendix at the end of the Client section.
>

I think that is the best solution.  Books are usually organized like 
that.