Subject: Re: [DOCS] [BUGS] BUG #1414: DOC - pl/Perl hash tags missing

From: "Magnus Hagander" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 22:11:07 +0100

>> In the pl/Perl section of the 8.0.0 manual, as viewed on the 
>postgresql.org
>> web site, all perl code hash tags seem to be missing.  i.e. 
>
>Yeah, I see the same; but it's not in the devel docs.  Compare
>	http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/static/plperl.html
>	http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/plperl.html
>and look for instance at the empcomp() function about halfway down
>the page:
>    return $emp-> + $emp->;
>vs
>    return $emp->{basesalary} + $emp->{bonus};
>
>Any theories what's wrong here?

Going out on a line a bit here - and someone who've worked with teh
system probably knows for sure but... It looks like {} is used as the
template placeholder in the templating system on the website.

It would seem to me that the fix would be as simple as to set
$removeUnknownVariables to false when parsing the docs template, but I'm
far from sure at that. And I have no way to test it. And it might break
something else. End of disclaimers.

Anyway. If it helped one of the web guys in the right direction
(assuming it was right), then there was some point to this post ;-)

//Magnus

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 16:23:16 -0500

> something else. End of disclaimers.

If the docs template is applying any substitution whatsoever to the
documentation HTML files, it's broken.  I don't think the above fix
is appropriate --- what if the docs contain {foo} where foo does match
some variable known to the substituter?

			regards, tom lane

---

From: Alvaro Herrera <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 18:51:16 -0300

> some variable known to the substituter?

Probably the solution is to use some sort of template escaping, like
{literal} in PHP's smarty.  Not sure what the site is using.

-- 
Alvaro Herrera (<alvherre[@]dcc.uchile.cl>)
Al principio era UNIX, y UNIX habló y dijo: "Hello world\n".
No dijo "Hello New Jersey\n", ni "Hello USA\n".