Subject: PostgreSQL 8.0.3 Documentation - Chapter 21. Routine Database Maintenance Tasks

From: Halley Pacheco de Oliveira <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2005 09:04:25 -0300 (ART)

21.3. Log File Maintenance

It is written:

"Another production-grade approach to managing log output is to send it all to syslog and let
syslog deal with file rotation. To do this, set the configuration parameter log_destination to
syslog (to log to syslog only) in postgresql.conf. Then you can send a SIGHUP signal to the syslog
daemon whenever you want to force it to start writing a new log file. If you want to automate log
rotation, the logrotate program can be configured to work with log files from syslog."

First is said: "send it all to syslog and let syslog deal with file rotation"

Later is said: "If you want to automate log rotation, the logrotate program can be configured to
work with log files from syslog"

So, how syslog deals with file rotation if it is necessary to use the logrotate program to
automate log rotation (working with log files from syslog)?

This paragraph is not clear to me. As I understant syslog doesn't deal with log rotation,
logrotate deals with syslog's log rotation.

The command kill -s SIGHUP `cat /var/run/syslogd.pid` just writes the line "Jul 17 07:55:54
localhost syslogd 1.4.1: restart." in the "/var/log/messages" file, reads the configuartion file,
closes and open this file again in Fedora Core 3 standard configuration. It doesn't write a new
log file.

Regards,
Halley

__________________________________________________
Converse com seus amigos em tempo real com o Yahoo! Messenger 
http://br.download.yahoo.com/messenger/