Subject: Contents page - usability suggestion

From: Richard Huxton <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2005 21:05:00 +0100

I do try and be good and look up manual references where I think they're 
useful to people on the mailing lists, and one small thing makes this 
harder than I think it needs to be.

If you go to the main contents page on any of the recent manuals 
(.../index.html) and hit "End" to go to the bottom of the page you don't 
  see the Index or Appendices, you get the bottom-half of "List of xxx".

Is it difficult to put these sections on separate pages?
Is it a bad idea?

I sympathise if people don't like tinkering with the doc generation 
stuff - I remember trying to get some Jade setup working on RH8 and I 
still wake up screaming...
-- 
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd

---

From: Peter Eisentraut <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 22:20:07 +0200

> Is it difficult to put these sections on separate pages?

Yes.

> Is it a bad idea?

No.

We could simply get rid of them (rather than trying to move them 
somewhere else), which I would personally support.

-- 
Peter Eisentraut
http://developer.postgresql.org/~petere/

---

From: Richard Huxton <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2005 21:26:02 +0100

> harder than I think it needs to be.

Not wanting to make a habit of replying to myself, but while I'm 
throwing out ideas without researching them first...

If you moved "Internals" before "Reference" you'd have almost all the 
reference/list-based stuff together at the very end.

-- 
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd

---

From: Richard Huxton <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2005 21:34:06 +0100

>>Is it difficult to put these sections on separate pages?

I feared as much.

> somewhere else), which I would personally support.

If that's the decision, I'd be happy to put in the effort to make sure 
the index covers everything useful out of the various lists. I'd need to 
know soon or in a couple of weeks though. Off on honeymoon next week and 
my new wife is understanding, but not *that* understanding...

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd