Subject: Clarifying Autovacuum docs in the release notes

From: David Fetter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 20:32:40 -0700

Folks,

Please find attached a patch which tells about what the spiffy,
integrated autovacuum now does :)

Cheers,
D
-- 
David Fetter [email-masked] http://fetter.org/
phone: +1 510 893 6100   mobile: +1 415 235 3778

Remember to vote!
? autovacuum.diff
? d0m41n_fux0r3d.diff
Index: doc/src/sgml/release.sgml
===================================================================
RCS file: /projects/cvsroot/pgsql/doc/src/sgml/release.sgml,v
retrieving revision 1.365
diff -c -r1.365 release.sgml
*** doc/src/sgml/release.sgml	4 Sep 2005 13:40:24 -0000	1.365
--- doc/src/sgml/release.sgml	12 Sep 2005 03:15:12 -0000
***************
*** 173,179 ****
          Integrating autovacuum into the server allows it to be
          automatically started and stopped in sync with the database
          server, and allows autovacuum to be configured from
!         <filename>postgresql.conf</>.
         </para>
        </listitem>
       </varlistentry>
--- 173,181 ----
          Integrating autovacuum into the server allows it to be
          automatically started and stopped in sync with the database
          server, and allows autovacuum to be configured from
!         <filename>postgresql.conf</>.  Autovacuum now checks to see if
!         the database is in danger of xid wraparound and
!         <command>VACUUM</command>s the whole database if needed.
         </para>
        </listitem>
       </varlistentry>

---

From: Neil Conway <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 14:23:22 -0400

AFAIK contrib/pg_autovacuum in 8.0 also checked for XID wraparound (or 
at least its documentation claims that it does), so I don't see how this 
is new functionality.

-Neil

---

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 22:25:45 -0400 (EDT)

Patch applied.  Thanks.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

> integrated autovacuum now does :)

[ Attachment, skipping... ]

> 
> ---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
> TIP 5: don't forget to increase your free space map settings

-- 
  Bruce Momjian                        |  http://candle.pha.pa.us
  [email-masked]               |  (610) 359-1001
  +  If your life is a hard drive,     |  13 Roberts Road
  +  Christ can be your backup.        |  Newtown Square, Pennsylvania 19073

---

From: Alvaro Herrera <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 22:39:35 -0400

> > integrated autovacuum now does :)

I think somebody has complained in the past that "verb-ification" of
command names is not good style, so the  " ... and <command>VACUUM</>s
the whole ..." should not be used.  Maybe "... and executes
<command>VACUUM</> on the whole ..." is better?

-- 
Alvaro Herrera                 http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/CTMLCN8V17R4
FOO MANE PADME HUM

---

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 22:43:03 -0400 (EDT)

Cleaned up:

        Also autovacuum now checks
        if the database is in danger of xid wraparound and
        vacuums the database if needed.