Subject: Re: Added documentation about caching, reliability

From: "Merlin Moncure" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2005 13:44:59 -0400

Bruce wrote:
> > I was never all that happy with the WAL chapter, since, as you say,
it
> > doesn't seem to be a first-class user-level feature.  I'd be happy
to
> > integrate it into another chapter, but I'm not sure where.
> 
> Sure, I am looking for suggestions.  My relabeling at least fixes
that,
> but feel free to move things around and relabel them.

FWIW, I agree with Peter.  We are supposed to be talking about Server
Administration, not architectural properties of the database
(reliability, performance, etc.).  The proposed move takes things more
off-topic.  In fact, IMO chapter 26 is already too fat and could provide
links to the 'benefits' and 'implementation details' portions (maybe
move to VII Internals?).

Merlin

---

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2005 14:48:33 -0400 (EDT)

> links to the 'benefits' and 'implementation details' portions (maybe

I have no problem moving the WAL sections out of administration to
somewhere else, and linking to it from the Reliability section.  In
fact, my new added section is probably the only part of that chapter
that _does_ belong in the administration guide.

-- 
  Bruce Momjian                        |  http://candle.pha.pa.us
  [email-masked]               |  (610) 359-1001
  +  If your life is a hard drive,     |  13 Roberts Road
  +  Christ can be your backup.        |  Newtown Square, Pennsylvania 19073