Subject: Inheritance and Partitioning

From: Simon Riggs <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2005 09:59:52 +0100

I'm currently doing the docs for CE & Partitioning.

The ddl.sgml chapter had a section on Inheritance. I'm expanding that
section and splitting it into two:

INHERITANCE & PARTITIONING
   1. Table Partitioning
      Existing chapter, but with more detail of a general nature that
will be important information when we discuss...

   2. Basic Partitioning using Constraint Exclusion
      How to enhance inheritance with constraints to allow CE. How that
works to provide basic partitioning, with examples and long list of
caveats.

Any comments while I'm in progress? You will of course have another
chance to comment when I complete the patch.

Best Regards, Simon Riggs

---

From: Alvaro Herrera <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2005 10:56:54 -0300

> works to provide basic partitioning, with examples and long list of

Hmm, sorry, I missed most of the discussion on CE -- is it used only
in inheritance?  Maybe you should add a separate section on
partitioning, referring to the inheritance section where appropiate.
But they are clearly not the same feature.

Also, it will be more clearly separated as we add more partitioning
related features, right?

-- 
Alvaro Herrera                         Architect, http://www.EnterpriseDB.com
"A wizard is never late, Frodo Baggins, nor is he early.
 He arrives precisely when he means to."  (Gandalf, en LoTR FoTR)

---

From: Simon Riggs <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2005 20:48:38 +0100

On Sun, 2005-10-09 at 10:56 -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> in inheritance?  

Regrettably at this time. I couldn't find a clear point to put the code
that would allow it to work cleanly for the UNION ALL case, at least in
the time available.

> Maybe you should add a separate section on

OK. I'll keep the same flow, just promote both up a level.

So there'll be two <sect1>s for each concept.