Subject: Re: This approach to non-ASCII names does not work

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 17:10:28 -0400

Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]> writes:
> Interesting, I found this for that character:
> 	http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/0131/index.htm
> Turns out that number is the right entity.  Seems they have numbers that
> match UTF16/UTF32 values.  So are we OK?

No, we are not, because the docs don't build for anyone who has pickier
SGML tools than the ancient laissez-faire toolchain you seem to be using.
HEAD currently gives me

openjade -V draft-mode -wall -wno-unused-param -wno-empty -D . -c /usr/share/sgml/docbook/dsssl-stylesheets/catalog -d stylesheet.dsl -i output-html -t sgml postgres.sgml
openjade:ddl.sgml:2581:51:E: document type does not allow element "SECT2" here
openjade:ddl.sgml:2646:39:E: document type does not allow element "SECT2" here
openjade:ddl.sgml:2706:52:E: document type does not allow element "SECT2" here
openjade:ddl.sgml:2848:8:E: end tag for "SECT2" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified
openjade:ddl.sgml:2317:3: start tag was here
openjade:release.sgml:572:14:E: "353" is not a character number in the document character set
openjade:release.sgml:1091:56:E: "305" is not a character number in the document character set
openjade:release.sgml:1091:63:E: "305" is not a character number in the document character set
openjade:release.sgml:1505:35:E: "305" is not a character number in the document character set
openjade:release.sgml:1505:42:E: "305" is not a character number in the document character set
openjade:release.sgml:1670:38:E: "305" is not a character number in the document character set
openjade:release.sgml:1670:45:E: "305" is not a character number in the document character set
make: *** [html] Error 1

I don't believe in ignoring compiler warnings, and I don't believe in
ignoring these problems either.

			regards, tom lane

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 17:38:06 -0400

The HTML specs do include the other character at issue:

!ENTITY scaron  "&#353;"> <!--  latin small letter s with caron,
                                    U+0161 ISOlat2 -->

I suggest we use that where needed and spell dotless i as plain i.
(Sorry, Volkan :-( ... but your beef is with the HTML standards
not us.)

			regards, tom lane

---

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 18:48:57 -0400 (EDT)

> !ENTITY scaron  "&#353;"> <!--  latin small letter s with caron,

Release notes updated to use scaron.

-- 
  Bruce Momjian   [email-masked]
  EnterpriseDB    http://www.enterprisedb.com

  + If your life is a hard drive, Christ can be your backup. +