Subject: Building Documentation

From: David Blewett <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2006 13:55:06 -0400

Hi All:

I've been trying to build the documentation for PostgreSQL 8.1.4 for the
past few days without much success. First of all, it seems openjade has
some severe performance issues. I ran:

sgml#gmake postgres.rtf

and let it run all night, but nothing had been written to the file. The
CPU had been pegged the entire time. On a different box, I let:

sgml#gmake postgres.dvi

run all night, and it got to 22MB.

After seeing this lackluster performance, I tried using XSLT instead of
DSSSL. I ran:

sgml#gmake postgres.xml
sgml#gmake testxml

This ran through without error in about 10 minutes. I then added:

XSLTPROCFLAGS = -o postgres.fo

to the Makefile, so that xsltproc would dump the XSL:FO file for further
processing. This generates the command line (watch the wrap):
xsltproc -o postgres.fo --stringparam pg.version '8.1.4' stylesheet.xsl
postgres.xml

However, no .fo file is created. The process runs with a lot of "ID
recommended on ...". It runs through the entire document, but no .fo
file is created.

After browsing through the -doc list, I see mentions of moving to the
XML version of DocBook. After the escapades with openjade, I heartily
agree with this decision. Meanwhile, can someone provide me with either
postgres.rtf or postgres.fot from the 8.1 series?

David Blewett

The software versions I'm using are as follows:
openjade:I: "openjade" version "1.3.2"
openjade:I: "OpenSP" version "1.5.2"
Using libxml 20626, libxslt 10117 and libexslt 813
xsltproc was compiled against libxml 20626, libxslt 10117 and libexslt 813
libxslt 10117 was compiled against libxml 20626
libexslt 813 was compiled against libxml 20626

---

From: Peter Eisentraut <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2006 22:41:05 +0200

David Blewett wrote:
> xsltproc -o postgres.fo --stringparam pg.version '8.1.4'
> stylesheet.xsl postgres.xml
>
> However, no .fo file is created.

That's because the stylesheet you are using is an html stylesheet.

> Meanwhile, can someone provide me with
> either postgres.rtf or postgres.fot from the 8.1 series?

You can build a postgres.fot from the makefile, but maybe you mean 
postgres.fo, which is not quite the same thing, and there is no readily 
available support for the latter.

-- 
Peter Eisentraut
http://developer.postgresql.org/~petere/

---

From: David Blewett <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2006 17:04:45 -0400

> available support for the latter.

Heh, that goes to show how little I know about this whole process. I
went ahead and restarted the build process and I'll let it run over the
weekend. I also tried the route of using dblatex which will allow me to
use latex utilities. So far, the sgml->tex process was quick but the
pdflatex process is taking forever. It stopped spewing info to the
screen, so it might have hit an infinite loop. If I am able to get
something working well, I'll let you know.

David