Subject: Empty index in A4 version of 8.1 PDF documentation

From: Benno Puetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 12:03:46 +0200

I just downloaded the current documentation PDFs and found that the A4 
version has no index whereas the US version does ...

Benno

---

From: Alvaro Herrera <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2006 18:13:47 -0300

> version has no index whereas the US version does ...

That's probably because the A4 version got generated first and created
the index entries file as part of the process, while the Letter
version was able to reuse the file from the A4 run.

It would be neat to have some Makefile trickery to be able to detect
that the just-finished run was done without an index entries file and
and repeat the process in that case.

-- 
Alvaro Herrera                                http://www.CommandPrompt.com/
PostgreSQL Replication, Consulting, Custom Development, 24x7 support

---

From: Peter Eisentraut <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 02:09:08 +0200

Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> That's probably because the A4 version got generated first and
> created the index entries file as part of the process, while the
> Letter version was able to reuse the file from the A4 run.

The index entries are only generated as a side effect of HTML builds.

-- 
Peter Eisentraut
http://developer.postgresql.org/~petere/

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2006 22:45:41 -0400

> and repeat the process in that case.

[ shrug... ] The standard solution is to run the build twice, no matter
what.  You have no way to be sure the existing index file is correct
even if it's present...

			regards, tom lane