Subject: SGML docs and pdf single-quotes

From: "E. Rijkers" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2007 03:40:08 +0100 (CET)

Hi all,

  Using the pdf version of the postgres manual I wonder if
it wouldn't be better to replace single-quotes inside
<programlisting> with &apos; (apostrophe).

There are two advantages:

  1. it makes it possible to copy-and-paste examples from
the pdf file.

  2. it prevents running together of two (or more)
single-quotes into a single double-quote.

Both problems occur only in pdf, not in html.

A disadvantage is that sgml source files become less
human-readable.

I compiled such a converted pdf with the attached perl
program.

The perl program can easily be made to generate the diffs
for all sgml files;  I'll do that if it is considered
useful. On the other hand, maybe this conversion of  ' to
&apod;  should be built into the xslt processing (to leave
the sgml more readable)?

Erik Rijkers

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2007 21:58:17 -0500

> <programlisting> with &apos; (apostrophe).

Having to deal with entity-izing & and < is bad enough;
doing it for ' is something up with which I will not put.

> On the other hand, maybe this conversion of  ' to

That would be tolerable.

			regards, tom lane

---

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 16:01:02 -0400 (EDT)

Added to TODO:

* Convert single quotes to apostrophes in the PDF documentation

  http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-docs/2007-12/msg00059.php

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tom Lane wrote:
> ---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
> TIP 7: You can help support the PostgreSQL project by donating at
> 
>                 http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate

-- 
  Bruce Momjian  <[email-masked]>        http://momjian.us
  EnterpriseDB                             http://postgres.enterprisedb.com

  + If your life is a hard drive, Christ can be your backup. +