Subject: Russian FAQ page charset problem

From: "Nikolay Samokhvalov" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 22:23:10 +0400

Current page with FAQ in Russian
(http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs.FAQ_russian.html) has charset
problem: the text is in koi-8r, while HTML source has this line:
 <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />

It'd be great to fix it: either to change meta line or convert
contents to UTF8 (I personally would choose the latter).

-- 
Sincerely yours,
Nikolay Samokhvalov
Postgresmen LLC, http://postgresmen.ru

---

From: "Виктор Вислобоков" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2008 13:05:58 +0400

Nikolay, by history reasons, Russian FAQ translation come in KOI8-R encoding.
But, PostgreSQL site has UTF-8.

2Bruce: I can convert Russian translation into UTF-8 and correct HTML header.
What you think about it?

2008/9/12 Nikolay Samokhvalov <[email-masked]>:
> Sent via pgsql-docs mailing list ([email-masked])
> To make changes to your subscription:
> http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-docs
>

---

From: Peter Eisentraut <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 10:30:19 +0300

> contents to UTF8 (I personally would choose the latter).

This was already discussed on the pgsql-www list recently, but there has 
been no resolution on what to do yet.

---

From: "Nikolay Samokhvalov" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 11:37:09 +0400

> been no resolution on what to do yet.

What about using UTF8 for Russian text? Why not simply "iconv -f
koi8-r -t utf8 ..."?

-- 
Sincerely yours,
Nikolay Samokhvalov

---

From: "Dave Page" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 08:48:21 +0100

> What about using UTF8 for Russian text? Why not simply "iconv -f

I thought that was what Bruce was going to do. He has other priorities
at the moment though, so perhaps one of the the committers could
handle it.

-- 
Dave Page
EnterpriseDB UK: http://www.enterprisedb.com

---

From: Peter Eisentraut <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 11:27:09 +0300

> at the moment though, so perhaps one of the the committers could

We could do that, but it is also a question of what the author prefers 
for editing.  We don't require UTF-8 in other places.  And I don't feel 
comfortable converting everything (FAQ or not) to UTF-8, because that 
loses information in some cases.

---

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 10:41:08 +0200

> at the moment though, so perhaps one of the the committers could

Done.

I only touched the HTML one - seems the text one is already in latin
characters?

//Magnus

---

From: "Виктор Вислобоков" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 13:24:16 +0400

Hmm. At this time, everything all right.
But, How do I do at the next time after update? Would be I convert
Russian translation to UTF-8 or leave it in KO8-R, before send it to
Bruce?

---

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 13:40:38 +0200

> Russian translation to UTF-8 or leave it in KO8-R, before send it to

Please do all your work in UTF-8, and sen UTF-8 only patches to Bruce.

The best way to get started is probably to grab the just converted file
from CVS and work off that one.

//Magnus

---

From: "Виктор Вислобоков" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 16:52:28 +0400

Okay :)

---

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 14:01:41 -0400 (EDT)

> at the moment though, so perhaps one of the the committers could

No, the conversion to a UTF8 header is done by the web infrastructure; 
the file in CVS is in the native Russian encoding, koi8-r, and I don't
know how to change that.

However, it now seems all the FAQs are in ASCII or UTF8 so I think we
are OK going into the future.

-- 
  Bruce Momjian  <[email-masked]>        http://momjian.us
  EnterpriseDB                             http://enterprisedb.com

  + If your life is a hard drive, Christ can be your backup. +

---

From: "Dave Page" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 19:04:30 +0100

> the file in CVS is in the native Russian encoding, koi8-r, and I don't

That's the iconv -f bit suggested above, that I thought you were doing.

> are OK going into the future.

Yup, Magnus converted them.

---

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 14:05:28 -0400 (EDT)

> That's the iconv -f bit suggested above, that I thought you were doing.

Nope, never did that, and I don't have the proper locales on my sever.

---

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 21:31:12 +0200

> Nope, never did that, and I don't have the proper locales on my sever.

That's not locale, that's encoding. And it's independent of what locales
you have - AFAIK as long as you have iconv, you should be good.

For next time, that is - since it's already fixed this time :-)

//Magnus