Subject: New XML-based man page build

From: Peter Eisentraut <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2008 17:13:25 +0200

Following up to the recent discussion that our man page build is weird, 
ancient, and only works with patched tools, I have implemented support 
for using a newer toolchain based on docbook2x(.sf.net).  You can try it 
out by installing docbook2x and running "make manx".

Right now, I can only verify that it works on Debian.  Installing this 
package from sources might be pretty complicated.

The build works nicely and quickly, and if we fix up a few small 
formatting artifacts and sort out the installation issues, we could 
switch to using this as our standard build method.

---

From: Alvaro Herrera <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 13:59:38 -0300

> out by installing docbook2x and running "make manx".

I just tried it and it works great.  This is also Debian so I can't say
how hard it is to install docbook2x.

> switch to using this as our standard build method.

What artifacts do you see?  The only one I can find is that in SEE ALSO
the references to other man pages look like this:

SEE ALSO
       ALTER TEXT SEARCH CONFIGURATION(), DROP TEXT SEARCH CONFIGURATION()

We should replace the spaces with _ and add the "l" section in parens.

-- 
Alvaro Herrera                                http://www.CommandPrompt.com/
The PostgreSQL Company - Command Prompt, Inc.

---

From: Devrim GÜNDÜZ <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 19:10:34 +0200

> how hard it is to install docbook2x.

On Fedora, package is called docbook-2X , and I had to build the docs
with:

make manx DOCBOOK2MAN=/usr/bin/db2x_docbook2man

Regards,
-- 
Devrim GÜNDÜZ, RHCE
devrim~gunduz.org, devrim~PostgreSQL.org, devrim.gunduz~linux.org.tr
                   http://www.gunduz.org

---

From: Peter Eisentraut <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 13:32:12 +0200

> make manx DOCBOOK2MAN=/usr/bin/db2x_docbook2man

I have added a configure check so that this should work out of the box now.

---

From: Devrim GÜNDÜZ <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 16:36:39 +0200

> I have added a configure check so that this should work out of the box

Thanks.