Subject: Adding an table of contents in SGML

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 21:23:09 -0400 (EDT)

I would like to add a table of contents to the top of the 8.4 release
notes:

	http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/release-8-4.html

Similar to the one at the top here:

	http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/datatype.html

I tried poking around but didn't find any obvious way to do it.

-- 
  Bruce Momjian  <[email-masked]>        http://momjian.us
  EnterpriseDB                             http://enterprisedb.com

  + If your life is a hard drive, Christ can be your backup. +

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 22:28:29 -0400

> I would like to add a table of contents to the top of the 8.4 release

Resist the temptation.  If you have so many sub-sections that it needs
its own table of contents, you have too many.

> 	http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/datatype.html

That is a chapter heading, not a section heading.

			regards, tom lane

---

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 22:33:49 -0400 (EDT)

> its own table of contents, you have too many.

It is not that things are hard to find but rather that it would be good
to present a list at the top to give users a better handle on the
contents;  there are 276 items listed in the 8.4 release notes.  8.3 had
237, a 15% increase.

> That is a chapter heading, not a section heading.

True, but it says, "Table of Contents", at the top of the list of
headings.

---

From: Peter Eisentraut <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 23:48:34 +0300

> I tried poking around but didn't find any obvious way to do it.

There is no support for creating table of contents for divisions below chapter 
level.