Subject: Explain docs and the regression database

From: Greg Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 May 2010 22:33:11 -0400

The introduction to using EXPLAIN:  
http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/using-explain.html 
includes a footnote at the bottom suggesting you might follow along with 
these examples because they come from the regression test database.  
This would really be a lot more useful if it gave some sort of clue just 
how exactly a user might get that database populated with that 
regression data.  I'm not even quite sure myself exactly what point in 
the regression testing cycle these examples came from.  Another open 
question in my head is whether enough pieces of the regression set are 
shipped in the most common packaging sets that it's ever practical to 
expect users to run the tests at all.  Thoughts?

-- 
Greg Smith  2ndQuadrant US  Baltimore, MD
PostgreSQL Training, Services and Support
[email-masked]   www.2ndQuadrant.us

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 May 2010 23:37:40 -0400

Greg Smith <[email-masked]> writes:
> regression data.

You run the regression tests.

> I'm not even quite sure myself exactly what point in 
> the regression testing cycle these examples came from.

The ending state.

> Another open 

In Fedora/RHEL, and I believe also the PGDG RPMs, you'd install the
postgresql-test RPM and run it per directions.

			regards, tom lane

---

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 May 2010 10:21:01 -0400 (EDT)

> You run the regression tests.

FYI, I think you have to run 'installcheck' so the database remains
after the regression tests.

-- 
  Bruce Momjian  <[email-masked]>        http://momjian.us
  EnterpriseDB                             http://enterprisedb.com