Subject: 7.1. Overview (The SQL Language)

From: Grzegorz Szpetkowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 21:38:07 +0200

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/queries-overview.html

"Assuming that there is a table called table1, this command would
retrieve all rows and all columns from table1."

Maybe it's worth adding:

"Assuming that there is a table called table1, this command would
retrieve all rows and all columns (excluding system columns described
at Section 5.4) from table1."

Regards,
G. Sz.

---

From: Robert Haas <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 11:05:47 -0400

> at Section 5.4) from table1."

Since this is a basic SQL tutorial, we don't want to get too far down
into the weeds, or people will get confused.  The next sentence would
need some thought, too:

 The select list specification <literal>*</literal> means all columns
that the table expression happens to provide.

Possibly we could add a footnote?

-- 
Robert Haas
EnterpriseDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 11:36:33 -0400

> into the weeds, or people will get confused.

I agree.  Mentioning system columns at all in this place seems like
too much information.

			regards, tom lane

---

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2011 09:32:14 -0400 (EDT)

> at Section 5.4) from table1."

I considered this but it seems like too much detail for the overview
section.

-- 
  Bruce Momjian  <[email-masked]>        http://momjian.us
  EnterpriseDB                             http://enterprisedb.com

  + It's impossible for everything to be true. +