Subject: clarify Regular Expression Match Operators

From: PG Doc comments form <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2018 14:59:06 +0000

The following documentation comment has been logged on the website:

Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/static/functions-matching.html
Description:

Table 9.14 Regular Expression Match Operators
It is not clear (to me)where I would put one of these operators. The Example
column does not make sense to me.

---

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2018 08:28:35 -0500

> column does not make sense to me.

Uh, you can use those regular expressions any place you would use an
operator:

	SELECT 'thomas' ~ '.*thomas.*';
	 ?column?
	----------
	 t

or in a where clause, e.g. WHERE col ~ 'ab.*c'.  Not sure how we can
improve the docs here.

-- 
  Bruce Momjian  <[email-masked]>        http://momjian.us
  EnterpriseDB                             http://enterprisedb.com

+ As you are, so once was I.  As I am, so you will be. +
+                      Ancient Roman grave inscription +