Subject: decimal digits precision for real and double precision types

From: PG Doc comments form <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2018 19:15:41 +0000

The following documentation comment has been logged on the website:

Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/static/datatype-numeric.html
Description:

In table 8.2 for numeric types, when the documentation states "6 decimal
digits precision" for the real type, we are talking about 6 digits after the
decimal point or 6 digits in total (before and after)?

---

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2018 18:54:26 -0400

> decimal point or 6 digits in total (before and after)?

Well the number is stored as a mantissa and exponent, so it is 6
mantissa digits plus an exponent from 1E-37 to 1E+37.

-- 
  Bruce Momjian  <[email-masked]>        http://momjian.us
  EnterpriseDB                             http://enterprisedb.com

+ As you are, so once was I.  As I am, so you will be. +
+                      Ancient Roman grave inscription +