Subject: confusing terms

From: PG Doc comments form <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2018 07:17:12 +0000

The following documentation comment has been logged on the website:

Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/static/role-membership.html
Description:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/static/role-membership.html

it says

"Once the group role exists, you can add and remove members using the GRANT
and REVOKE commands:

GRANT group_role TO role1, ... ;
REVOKE group_role FROM role1, ... ;"

how can you add members to a newly created group role using the above
command? shouldn't it be GRANT group_role TO user1 ??

---

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2018 17:44:32 -0400

> command? shouldn't it be GRANT group_role TO user1 ??

Well, users and groups are both roles.  The sentence says below this:

   You can grant membership to other group roles, too (since there isn't
   really any distinction between group roles and non-group roles). 

meaning you can grant group role membership to user and other group
roles.

-- 
  Bruce Momjian  <[email-masked]>        http://momjian.us
  EnterpriseDB                             http://enterprisedb.com

+ As you are, so once was I.  As I am, so you will be. +
+                      Ancient Roman grave inscription +