Subject: Outdated note

From: Alvaro Herrera <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 13:39:42 -0300

On 4.1.2.1. String Constants, the following note appears:

  Note:  While ordinary strings now support C-style backslash escapes,
  future versions will generate warnings for such usage and eventually
  treat backslashes as literal characters to be standard-conforming.

That future version is 8.2, so the note should be updated to reflect it.
(But the wording must be changed, because AFAICT that note was written
when we thought that standard_conforming_strings would be read-only, I
think).

-- 
Alvaro Herrera                                http://www.CommandPrompt.com/
PostgreSQL Replication, Consulting, Custom Development, 24x7 support

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2006 13:15:56 -0400

> That future version is 8.2, so the note should be updated to reflect it.

Done; I ended up rewriting the whole subsection.  I notice though that
the following subsection about dollar quoting could really do with some
rework too, because it implicitly assumes that backslashes are special
in ordinary string literals.  The example it gives to show the
usefulness of dollar quoting for nested literals is really not very
compelling at all if backslashes aren't special :-(.  Can anyone come
up with a better example that depends only on avoiding multiplied
single quotes?

			regards, tom lane